To "fix" my leaky tub faucet he "accidentally" ripped it from the wall which required him to first cut a hole into my newly painted bedroom and reattach a pipe. At this point he "discovered" that the pipe was off center and would require either breaking the tile in my bathroom which would cost me $125 or redirecting the pipes to the correct position, costing me $175 - neither of which would be covered by my warranty. You can see the second picture where he has enlarged the hole AND BURNED A SPOT ON MY WALL!!!
We needed a sewer scope to include with the documentation for selling our house. The Company needed to reschedule and knocked $50 off the $250 they charge for this service. So far, so good. The plumber shows up and finds our clean out is inaccessible due to a stripped screw holding the cover in place. He decides the best route is to remove the toilet and perform the scope from there. He is super polite and didn't charge us for the additional effort required. Still, so far, so good. The scope work is performed and we are told there is a small root intrusion in the line. Now the fun begins... how small is small and how far out is it located? "We can't tell you, we don't know - you can see the video". We explain that we need a accurate report for our documentation. The plumber then prepares our bill and results but includes a reference to $5300 of recommended work. We have had no issues with this sewer. Adding a recommendation to the scope is not going to look good to a potential buyer. We ask for the recommendation to be separated out from the bill. Okay, they can do that. But, the invoice still shows the reference to the recommendation. We did not ask for a recommendation, just the scope. The plumber seemed to understand but referred it to his supervisor. The supervisor doesn't seem to understand. All they appear to want is to attach this $5300 to somebody - either us or a potential buyer. Did I mention that there are no problems with our sewer. We merely want full disclosure and the buyer can go from there. This recommendation that Mr. Rooter refuses to remove is a scare tactic that could affect the sale of our house. Thank goodness we're only out $200 and totally irritated with trying to explain this issue over and over again to only be stone walled. The solution is to use a different scoping service and make sure they understand what we need before we hire them. Now, my personal rant. Listening to their male centric misogynistic phone hold advertising is disgusting. Even though my husband handled this issue, I'm a trades woman and am skilled in construction and know more than average. Why Mr. Rooter doesn't supply their plumbers with a screw extractor or the skills required to simply remove a stripped screw is beyond me... Why the company can't provide a simple scoping of the line without an upsell is frustrating. We will not recommend their services or use them in the future. Update: Just got the written "estimate". Not even close to what we asked them to do. This place is only going to try to get into your pockets as deep as they can. We asked for an accurate scope of the sewer line (that's what we paid for).
If a plumber needs to do major repairs to your house, the work could call for a permit. You'll want this since a permit provides added assurance that the work is done correctly. Having this added measure in place means an inspector will check the work your contractor or plumber does to ensure he or she did the job correctly. If you ever plan on putting your house or commercial building on the market, a real estate agent and prospective buyers will also want to check any large work you did to make sure it was done properly.
I had sewer back up problem and called Mr. Rooter on Sunday. One George arrived at scheduled time. Explained about snaking and hydro jetting. Scheduled service for Monday noon as it was already dark. George called and came ahead of schedule at around 10.40AM. Tried Hydro-jetting as well as snaking. Removed lots and lots of roots, but still could not open up the drain. His supervisor came and located the blockage which was very close to the city sewer line. Actually, the sewer line belongs to the county and he was not able to give an accurate estimate until he calls the county office and finds out their regulations etc. But, he did mention that couple of large trees need to be cut down, need to dig down and replace the broken (not sure how it was concluded, experience may be - will give him benefit of doubt) clay pipes with PVC and the cost will easily run upwards of 10K!!